What are the sizes of crochet thread?
Crochet threads are available in a wide range of sizes, making it easy to choose the perfect thread for any project. While the standard size range is typically from 3 to 100, some brands offer additional sizes for added variety. Crochet thread size is determined by the thickness of the thread, with smaller numbers indicating thicker threads and larger numbers indicating thinner threads.
For example: Size 3 is much larger than size 30. Conversely, size 10 is thinner than size 8 and so on.
Sizes of crochet thread are 3, 5, 8, 10, 20, 30, 40 .. up to size 100.
The image below illustrates the various sizes of the threads that we sell.
Size of the ball
When ordering crochet thread it is also important to know the size and weight of ball. For example, not all size 10 thread have the same weight and yardage.
The smallest ball of thread that we carry is our Lizbeth Size 20. It is 25 grams and only 210 yards long. Why so small? Because Lizbeth specializes in tatting (see our blog on tatting for more information) so a smaller ball makes sense. The Lizbeth size 10 is also 25 grams and 210 yards long.
Next is our Alize Miss. Imported from Turkey, Alize Miss comes in size 10, and is 50 grams, 300 yards long. While the Lizbeth comes in a ball the Alize is more of a hank.
After Alize comes our Monaco Size 8, imported from the Philippines. Monaco thread is 50 grams each at 190 yards long.
Our Aunt Lydia’s Size 10 is between 300 to 400 yards long, with length depending on color. For example, White and Ecru are 400 yards long, solids are 350 yard, and mixed are 300 yards. Aunt Lydia’s size 3 is 150 yards long.
Lyn’s Crafts Thread Size, Weight and Length Table
Here are the sizes, weights and lengths of the threads we carry.
|Aunt Lydia’s Fashion||3||65 grams||150 yards|
|Monaco||8||50 grams||190 yards|
|Lizbeth||10||25 grams||210 yards|
|Aunt Lydia’s Classic||10||85 grams||350 yards|
|Alize Miss||10||50 grams||300 yards|
|Flax Linen||10||100 grams||600 yards|
|Lizbeth||20||25 grams||210 yards|
Here’s a breakdown of the most common sizes and examples of each:
- Size 3: This is one of the thickest crochet thread sizes available and is ideal for creating home decor items like rugs, baskets, and wall hangings. It’s also great for creating larger projects like afghans and throws. Aunt Lydia’s Fashion 3 is a popular option in this size range.
- Size 5: This size of crochet thread is still quite thick, but is slightly thinner than size 3. It’s great for creating doilies, table runners, and other home decor items. Handy Hands Elisa is a popular option in this size range.
- Size 8: This is a medium weight crochet thread that can be used for a wide range of projects, including clothing, accessories, and home decor. Monaco Crochet Cotton is a popular option in this size range.
- Size 10: This is the most popular crochet thread size and is great for a wide variety of projects, including doilies, lacework, and fine thread crochet. Aunt Lydia’s Crochet Cotton is the most popular option in this size range.
- Size 20: This is a fine crochet thread that is ideal for tatting, lacework, and other fine thread crochet projects. Lizbeth also offers a popular size 20 thread.
- Size 30: This is an even finer crochet thread that is great for creating delicate lacework and doilies. Aunt Lydia’s Classic 30 is a popular option in this size range.
- Size 40: This is an extremely fine crochet thread that is perfect for creating intricate lacework and doilies. Lizbeth offers a popular size 40 thread.
- Size 50: This is an even thinner crochet thread that is ideal for creating the finest lacework and thread crochet. DMC Cordonnet Special is a popular option in this size range.
- Size 60: This is the thinnest crochet thread size available and is perfect for creating the finest lacework and thread crochet. DMC Cordonnet Special is also a popular option in this size range.
One of the most popular crochet thread brands is Aunt Lydia’s, which offers a range of sizes and colors. In addition to the size of the thread, it’s important to pay attention to the weight and length of the ball or hank. Some Aunt Lydia’s colors have longer lengths than others, so it’s important to double-check the product information before making a purchase.
Another popular brand for crochet thread is Lizbeth, which specializes in tatting thread. While their size 20 thread is the smallest ball of thread available at Lyn’s Crafts, they also offer a size 40 thread that is perfect for fine lacework. Their size 10 thread is ideal for many crochet projects, and is available in a wide range of colors.
When choosing a crochet thread, it’s important to consider the project you have in mind. If you’re working on a small project, a shorter ball of thread may be sufficient. However, for larger projects such as table runners or shawls, a longer ball of thread may be more economical. Keep in mind that using a smaller ball of thread for a large project may result in running out of thread before the project is complete.
Anyway, I hope that you found this information helpful. Thanks for stopping by our blog.